Can you recoat Testors Metalizer?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

shotgunlebowski

Can you recoat Testors Metalizer?

Post by shotgunlebowski »

The part rolled off the tape and made a couple marks in the finish. Can this stuff be recoated>?

John
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

Yes, but...

If you are going to mask, it's going to come off again. Testor's Metalizers don't take masking at all - any brand, any level, and any any. You cannot mask it, not even if you've sealed it. Testor's Metalizers shouldn't be sprayed until all other painting and masking is done.

The only metalizers that really laugh in the face of masking tape are Alclad's. The rest are pretty fragile. But Testor's is the worst of the bunch. I use it, and frequently, but only for highlighting and brush-work once everything else is done.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I must respectfully disagree with Harry. I've masked over Model Master buffing metallizers with Tamiya tape, electrical tape, and Parafilm-M without issue. Perhaps it depends on the primer used. In any case, if it still pulls up, you can clear coat between each coat using whatever you prefer. I use Future or Model Master clear gloss lacquer. In both cases the clear coat will slightly diminish the metallic shine, but not enough to make a big difference. Clear coating over metallizers, and between coats, really improves the durability of the finish.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
shotgunlebowski

Post by shotgunlebowski »

Well masking is not an Issue in this case. It's on a engine nozzle and on a very well enginered Bandai Kit. It basically fit's with no glue so all i need to do is seal it once i'm ready and then weather it. I've kept it seperate from the fuselage for painting purposes :D

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN948834
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

IIRC, it's been a while since I used Metalisers, there's a sealer for it that'll take a tape beating.
Abolish Alliteration