2-tone finish for 'Enterprise' BoP

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

2-tone finish for 'Enterprise' BoP

Post by DeltaVee »

I have the Starcraft Romulan BoP from the "Enterprise" series. How are people recreating the 2-color effect on the kit's panels? Please don't say they/you are masking off every single raised surface on this kit. But I don't see any other way to do it. Thanks.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Either mask or hand paint, not much else of a choice.
Abolish Alliteration
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

A trick used to provide the multi-color paneling on the AMT Klingon BoP was to dry brush the second and third colors. Still painting individual panels, but dry brushing is not nearly as fussy as wet painting and much more tolerant of mistakes.
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

No, no, no! I need something easy, requiring no skill or patience! :wink: Might try the drybrushing. Might try a heavy wash and wipe off the rasied panels. I did a wash years ago on a Cylon Base Star and ran away from anything like a panel line or a corner. Looked great. No idea how I did it.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

If you try a heavy wash, thin the paint and perhaps add a bit of flow-aid. Avoid trying to wipe it off the high areas, those will dry first. Slow, guided application is your best bet for that kind of glazing technique.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

'flow aid' like a drop of soap?