Best way to glue painted surfaces?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

Best way to glue painted surfaces?

Post by Callandor »

As the topic title suggests, I am wanting to know the best way to glue 2 painted surfaces together. I traditionally user Testor plastic cement which only really works well when the 2 surfaces are unpainted. However, sometimes it is simply too much of a hassle to scrap/sand away the paint to get down to an unfinished surface so I can cement them together. Is there a type of glue that would work well is those cases?
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

CA or "super glues" work well in these instances. The cement holds well, and if something breaks apart, it will usually take the paint off with it.

Stay away from the clear parts - those will get fogged by the vapors.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Wug

Post by Wug »

Some solvent based cements might be able to melt through a layer of paint. Still, you'll probably end up with a compromised join. If you use a CA or epoxy, the join will be no stronger than the bond between the paint and the part. This might be OK for small detail parts. For structural bonds remove the paint.
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

How large an area do you need to scrape the paint off of? You don't have to do a perfect job, just get some bare plastic on either side so the solvents can get to work.