Floquil over Decals?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Floquil over Decals?

Post by DeltaVee »

I'm almost ready to start painting. I want to use Floquil Railroad Colors. None of that aqueous stuff for me. Over my base coat, I plan to put some kind of gloss coat. Then I plan to lay down panel decals. Then I want to spray a thinned down Floquil final coat that will somewhat be a weathered coat that will also blend the base coat and decals. Between the decals and that top coat, what can I cover the decals with that won't allow the floquil thinner to eat up the decals? Future? Etc.? Thanks.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Future will work as a barrier, and remember light coats of the Floquil over it, a wet coat may or may not cause problems.

The Floquil enamels are great paints, I use their white, silvers and blacks all the time, their paints have great coverage, are fine grained and bond well to the surface.

Ken
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Agreed: Future.

-Rog
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks. Future's a miracle coating. Floquil's great stuff. Great realistic bare metal finishes, too, unless you want that shiny English tea set look. I've got a major investment in Floquil, so I'm gonna use it. Thanks for the confirmation.