Future: Buff-able?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

WarpeD

Future: Buff-able?

Post by WarpeD »

I was wondering about the ability of Future to take an even deeper gloss with a little buffing, similar to that done with car finishes. After all, before polyurethane became popular, auto finishes were mostly acrylic. As is Future. Would layering on a bunch of coats of Future, with attendant super fine grit sanding, and ultimately polishing, achieve a rich, deep and sturdy gloss?

Obviously, I can test this myself....but instead of re-inventing the wheel, has anyone here experience with this?
macfrank

Re: Future: Buff-able?

Post by macfrank »

WarpeD wrote: Obviously, I can test this myself....but instead of re-inventing the wheel, has anyone here experience with this?
Polishing compounds that contain petroleum distillates and other solvents (like some carnuba car waxes for cars) will "polish" Future by chemically removing it. I discovered this while trying to polish out an airplane wing that had been Future'd. The polishing cloth with the polishing compound quickly turned gray - the color of the paint under the Future.

Otherwise, polishing it with microgrits and buffing should work.
WarpeD

Post by WarpeD »

Sounds like a job for toothpaste! :8)
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I buffed the exhaust cone on my updated Cosmo Zero:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v161/ ... f6539a.jpg

I used a nail buffing kit from Wal-Mart. I used it in accordance with the directions. The only difference was I used it wet.

I buffed the plastic prior to priming with Gloss black, applied the black, buffed again, applied Krylon Chrome, buffed again, sealed with Future, and buffed again. Then I weathered with first a light brown and blue inks and Future spray, followed by an application of some dark metallizers. I then sealed the ink and metallizer weathering with an acrylic flatcoat.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:I buffed the exhaust cone on my updated Cosmo Zero:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v161/ ... f6539a.jpg

I used a nail buffing kit from Wal-Mart. I used it in accordance with the directions. The only difference was I used it wet.

I buffed the plastic prior to priming with Gloss black, applied the black, buffed again, applied Krylon Chrome, buffed again, sealed with Future, and buffed again. Then I weathered with first a light brown and blue inks and Future spray, followed by an application of some dark metallizers. I then sealed the ink and metallizer weathering with an acrylic flatcoat.

Kenny
Awesome finish on that bird Kenny!