Soften Light through clear parts?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

joey_d1119

Soften Light through clear parts?

Post by joey_d1119 »

Im building the Enterprise C. In order to save money Id like to get your views on how to do this.

I have the clear plastic parts for the warp engines and deflector dish for the Enterprise C kit.

I have found that even with the aftermarket resin parts you get a significant amount of light coming through especially at the point where the LED's are placed.

Id like to soften this down so I get more of a soft glow, rather then a bright blues and reds from the warp engines which over power the windows on the hull.

I was thinking I could use Blue translucent spray paint for the respective parts, and red translucent for the bussard collectors.

Then I can spray a thin layer of white paint on the back side of these piece that can help soften the amount of the light that shines through.

Anyone have any suggestions?
"I am a gazelle, watch me plunge in ratings" - Captain Archer, Stardate: it never should have happened.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

what about increasing the resistance in the LED circuit? or directly painting the leds, probally easier to undo if it doesn't work
That day, Vader was amazed to discover that when
fett was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you."
And even more amazing was the day he realized he truly loved him back.

Kenton
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

White would work, or perhaps repeated coats of matte spray.
Abolish Alliteration
joey_d1119

Post by joey_d1119 »

What is matte spray?
"I am a gazelle, watch me plunge in ratings" - Captain Archer, Stardate: it never should have happened.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Flat clear cloat?
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

What about white acrylic in Future painted over the LED's?

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

My suggestion is to go with the additional resistance for the Bussard Collectors but use light sheet or E.L. tape or wire for the blue areas. Of course, this is more expensive than paint but the overall look will be very effective.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

you could use a diffuser for the bussards. Use something like styrene in the same shape and size as the bussards but with really thin sheet styrene. Something like the thickness of a coffee cup lid.

I do like the idea of a flat clear coat from the inside, though.