Testors drying time between coats?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Sluis Van Shipyards

Testors drying time between coats?

Post by Sluis Van Shipyards »

I tried search for this, so I apologize if it is there somewhere and I missed it.

Anyway how long do you have to wait between coats (of the same color) with Testors MM enamels? I thought you could put on another coat within three or four hours, but a friend insists you have to wait 12 hours.
Cobbie

Post by Cobbie »

Keep in mind that the climate where you live, and the conditions when you airbrush can have an effect.
12 hours is the recommended curing time (some even suggest 24 hours for heavy coats).

It usually all comes down to the following: if you applied a light coat, in a warm, dry environement, you can pretty safely apply a second coat within 3 or 4 hours (even less if the coat was a simple misting).

If there is a lot of humidity, or the air is cool, waiting the recommended curing time would be recommended - it will prevent nasty surprises.

Max
Ron

Post by Ron »

If I'm applying the same colour, and I know I'm going to need more than one coat of paint, I will generally apply two or three thin layers and hour or two apart.

If I switch to another colour, I will wait at least 24 hours before I even start to mask over the first colour.
Ron
Maritime Science Fiction Modelers
http://msfm.seryan.com/ron_e.htm
Sluis Van Shipyards

Post by Sluis Van Shipyards »

Ok, thanks!