question about testors dullcote

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nickymaude

question about testors dullcote

Post by nickymaude »

is it ok to use testors dullcote over acrylic paint? also, is it ok to spray over decals?
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Never used the Testors before but I usually AB Future over the decals first to seal them in. Afterwards the dull coat (used to use Tamiya Flat in the rattle can ....now use Model Masters Clear Flat Acryl 4636 airbrushed on) is fantastic to knock down the sheen and pull everything together.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Are you going to apply it via spraycan or airbrush?

If the former then I say maybe over decals and leaning towards a probably not over acrylics. The spraycan version can be hard to control and its way too easy to put too much on too fast.

If using the bottled version and applying it via airbrush then you'll be fine, that's what I do and have been doing for years, just apply it in light coats and build it up till you get the flatness you want.

Ken
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Spraycan over acrylic paint ruined a couple planes I did years back. Personally I use PolyScale acrylic through the airbrush now.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

I ruined a Tamiya A-10 about 20 years ago with Dullcote; the surface did not lay down and it looked like the surface of the moon. I haven't touch the stuff since then. With all the extremely good acrylic choices for a flat finish I don't even know why Testors still sells Dullcote lacquer. Testors' own Acryl flat clear is miles ahead of Dullcote. But I guess they still sell it because it's in a rattle can and some people don't use an airbrush.
Darth_Vapor

Post by Darth_Vapor »

I've never had a problem airbrushing Dullcote over Tamiya acrylics. A few light coats seems to work the best.