MicroMask film problem....

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Butters

MicroMask film problem....

Post by Butters »

I've applied my MicroMask film, over painted, and now I cannot get the decal film to come off! It's only come off in a few areas, has peeled up some of the paint but mostly refuses to come off at all! I've use the tip of my blade (scratched the paint) a toothpick (scuffed the paint) some tape (ineffective) and violent thoughts to remove the film, but it still rebuffs me.

HELP!!!!
Last edited by Butters on Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a solution to every problem. Sometimes it's just C4.

Fine. I got an Avatar. Happy?
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Let's just make sure we're all on the same page.
1. You applied the decal
2. You sprayed a coat of paint (I'm assuming clear)
3. You are now trying to remove the decal without success

Once you clear coat it, it's stuck down pretty good. Not much chance of getting it off without damaging the paint underneath.

Sorry.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Butters

Post by Butters »

Sorry. In my frustration I became incoherant! :oops: I meant MicroMask. I've applied it, cut along the edge carefully, but cannot remove it.

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've actually never managed to get MicroMask to work. Well...I should say that. It seems to mask thing wonderfully. I've just never been able to get the crap off the model. A kneadable erasure might help but I've never gotten it to work either.
Abolish Alliteration
Butters

Post by Butters »

Kylwell wrote:I've actually never managed to get MicroMask to work. Well...I should say that. It seems to mask thing wonderfully. I've just never been able to get the crap off the model. A kneadable erasure might help but I've never gotten it to work either.
Hmmm... a needible Eraser; had'nt thought of that, but I'm not sure I think it'll work. Only one way to find out....

Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:I've actually never managed to get MicroMask to work. Well...I should say that. It seems to mask thing wonderfully. I've just never been able to get the crap off the model. A kneadable erasure might help but I've never gotten it to work either.
Agreed. I switched to Castin' Craft mold builder liquid latex and never looked back. Yeah, it's expensive but it always comes off.

Butters,

Get thee to Wal-Mart. Buy some Q-tips or other cotton swabs with the plastic shaft. Cut them in half, and blammo - instant hobby punji stake for models that won't scratch, but will scrape stubborn stuff off.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Butters

Post by Butters »

Plastic punji stake. Gotcha.