How do you mask curves/irregular shapes?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

How do you mask curves/irregular shapes?

Post by Callandor »

What is a good method for masking off curves and other irregular shapes? I have tried applying take and then cutting in the curves with an exacto, but the shapes never come out the way I want. Is there an easier, more efficient way of going about this?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Two ways. Parafilm-M applied in strips or in whole and trimmed to shape. Or, I use thin Tamiya tape to mask around the area them build up with thicker tape.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I trim little strips from the end of my Tamiya tape dispenser. I use those really sharp scissors made for trimming nose hair. :D

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I agree with Kylwell - Parafilm-M. Another one is to brush on latex rubber solution. But don't leave it on too long as it can discolor the surface it's covering.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

Do you guys usually aapply the tape or film and then trim it or do you have another meethod of cutting it prior to applying to the model? My big problem is getting a smooth cut when I trim the tape after applying it. I have some nerve damage in my hand so it is not the most steady with an exacto.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I usually trim the Tamiya tape on a green cutting pad with a nice sharp blade then transfer. I may draw the line on the tape on the model with pencil then remove and cut. Usually you'll need to use many pieces, irregularly shaped. Burnish down well. Apply over sealed surfaces, preferably glossy - a thin coat of Future will protect your paint.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

If you're using Parafilm you more or less have to trim it in place. But with a fresh scalpel blade it cuts really easily with very little pressure. By light pressure, I mean really light - almost just the weight of the scalpel.

Any slight scoring where you cut actually helps stop any bleed of paint under the mask.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

seam-filler wrote:I agree with Kylwell - Parafilm-M. Another one is to brush on latex rubber solution. But don't leave it on too long as it can discolor the surface it's covering.
Seconded. Be careful over acrylic paints, though, as it can craze them if they're still "green." I use liquid latex mold builder.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.