How accurate are the paint catalogs

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

How accurate are the paint catalogs

Post by Callandor »

Hobby stores are few and far between in my area so I was looking to order paints online. I downloaded the Testor product catalog, but I am wondering how much I can rely on the color samples shown. How different are the color swatches in the catalogs of various companies compared to how they look once painted?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Unless it's got a true paint chip chart (where the samples are make using the actual paint) they're limited to the CMYK color gamut and not too accurate.
Abolish Alliteration
eeun

Post by eeun »

There's also huge variations in the colour reproduction of monitors, so what you're seeing on-screen may be quite different from the actual colour.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Well said. I often match the colors manually, instead of using stuff straight out-of-the-bottle. I even keep a clor notebook with a bit of the color, the name, and the formula I used to get that color.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

I actually try to avoid mixing paints simply because my free time is limited and the paints often dry out before I have an opportunity to finish w/ that color. Granted, keeping track of the formula helps, but even then, you sometimes are not able to reproduce it exactly as before.
qc

Post by qc »

try this guy out...available at most LHS.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes2020c.htm

has all of testors stuff...enamels, acrylics, metalizers, etc....along with some general FAQ. very good buy if you're trying to nail colors. The paint chips in the catalog are very close to the cards on the paint shelf. i find its the individual bottles (when made, etc) that can be off sometimes.

Tamiya has a small little fold out (maybe 16"x8"...i forget) that is printed front and backside...that has all their colors. those are harder to find so ask your helper at the LHS.

to add to Kenny's comment. I've started to make my own paint chips too...i keep little 1"x1" 0.02 plasticards...lots already cut. if i know i'm going to be spraying a color for the first time (not mixed with any other colors), i'll spray the chip. then scribble the company, color, and number on the bottom (i mask a little strip on the bottom, then pull off when paint is dried).

I'm kinda anal and have done this paint chips for other stuff...like alclad, tamiya, along with different matt finishes, glosses, etc. would be happy to share.