IR Electronic kit help please

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Silver Spar

IR Electronic kit help please

Post by Silver Spar »

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here can help me. At the moment I'm trying to find a kit or schematics to build a learning IR remote control (such as you'd use if the original for your TV was broken). What I'd like to do is build one into various repllica props (or toys), so what I really need is instructions to build one, rather than a complete unit. I also need it to have at least 6 function buttons, 8 would be better, and 12 would be ideal, although I'd settle for 6.

I don't have a problem with soldering (not counting a propensity to get distracted and pick up the soldering iron by the wrong end), and I'm actually looking for a good excuse to buy a chip programmer.

What I ultimately want to do is build the remote into either a Tricorder, or better yet, a Sonic Screwdriver, although I know the size of the sonic screwdriver makes it a difficult proposition at best.

Hope someone out there can help, or at the very least point me in the right direction.
"My definition of an expert in any field is a person who knows enough about what's really going on to be scared."
- PJ Plauger
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

The place to start is with the IR detector. If you use a standard module, the software will be much easier. The Sharp GP1U52X was the old time favorite, but the Sharp GP1U581Y is newer and probably easier to find.
A Google search for these two. For the transmitter, just use an IR LED and modulate a 40Khz square wave to the LED with your signal... or just sacrifice an IR remote. I've seen it done with a BASIC stamp, so the CPU requirements are minimal.

Frank