Poly-Fiber--Resin Thickening additive--has anyone tried it?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Treadhead

Poly-Fiber--Resin Thickening additive--has anyone tried it?

Post by Treadhead »

I'm thinking of giving it a go after watching this video.

It looks promising. Has anyone tried it?
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Thickening? I didn't need to, Tap Plastics changed their forumula.
The new stuff was so thick, you couldn't get it into the mold before it kicked.

I have used fillers, but usually for strength in tension, or to bulk out the part. I had to make 92 shipping containers recently, I not only bulked it out with micro spheres, I cast in blocks of pink foam and scrap packing foam to make the containers float better...

...You don't need to know why the containers need to float... :twisted:
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

Umi_Ryuzuki wrote:Thickening? I didn't need to, Tap Plastics changed their forumula.
The new stuff was so thick, you couldn't get it into the mold before it kicked.
Umi

I've used Tap Plastics stuff before -- What I need is a resin that will cling to the sides of a rubber mold so that I don't have to slosh it around in order to cast a hollow part. I want to be able to add an interior to what I'm building.

Will the fibers allow me to do this? It's hard to tell much from the vid. I don't want to use the Tap stuff because it sets too fast. I'm probably going to go with Smooth On's slower setting resins. I'm hoping these fibers are going to be the ticket :)
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen