Need advice on construction (installing an interior)

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Treadhead

Need advice on construction (installing an interior)

Post by Treadhead »

I'm currently plodding away on a scratchbuild -- it's a plank on frame (lofting) type of build. So far I have a major portion of the framework done (a styrene keel with formers attached) and am thinking of the next step.

I plan on drilling away an opening in which to fit the interior of the ship into the framework. Should I do it now before I skin the thing (I'm going to use styrene strip across the formers) or should I wait until the skinning is complete and then drill away an opening for the interior module.

I'm making it in sections so that it will be easier to install the interior module.

I'm thinking that if I wait until after it is skinned, the styrene strips will give the structure more rigidity. Is this a good idea?
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

From my experience it is usually easier to build from the inside out. But if you build the interior as a cartridge, install it before skinning the model. That way the outer edges can overlap the interior.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.