How to mix Model Master to create a specific colour?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Ron

How to mix Model Master to create a specific colour?

Post by Ron »

Has anyone tried making a specific colour from Model Master paints? I have a model of a Jaguar E-Type and I want to paint it British Racing Green. Other than having a local automotive paint shop make me up a small batch, how feasible is it to mix up my own batch using Model Master?
Ron
Maritime Science Fiction Modelers
http://msfm.seryan.com/ron_e.htm
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Basicly all you need are the corrcet colors of MM and mix the right amounts. It would also help if you have a paint chip of British Racing Green.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Does Model Master not make a British racing green? Find the nearest appropriate color, and add a drop or so of white, or dark dark green, or some warm or cool color, (yellow, blue), depending on which way you need to go. Airbrush it on a plain white card, and allow it to dry for a couple hours, to compare it to the color sample.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mr. Badwrench wrote:Does Model Master not make a British racing green?
I have Model Master colour sheets posted up on my bulletin board in my hobby room. After reading your post I had to take them down and look at the opposite side:

Model Master Car Colours Chart: B-2716/S-2916 British Green Metallic is probably the closest I will get.

I just hope I can get it locally.

Thanks
Ron
Maritime Science Fiction Modelers
http://msfm.seryan.com/ron_e.htm
Scanam2006

Post by Scanam2006 »

All the model master colors mix very well together. you can mix it by eye or drop by drop. I gnerally mix a batch in a Badger Airbrush jar and keep the entire amount until I finish the project.
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

There are many different versions of british racing green produced over the years.

Sometimes the colour even varied from year to year.
So if you want an authentic finish you will need to put in a bit of research as for the year, car/maker.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I match a lot of colors custom like you're wantng to do. What I do is to start out with a base, say green, and add colors until it's matched.

I record the formula and eventually the result when it's perfect, in a simple notebook. I use tally marks to indicate drops/parts of paint. It looks like this:

[color swath] Dunkelgrun ||||| Apple Barrel 20306 green ||| Apple Barrel 20307 Black

I hope this helps a little. Also, pick up a color wheel from Wal-Mart. It really helps a lot when some mixing gets a little counterintuitive.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.