Weird paint problem help me figure it out!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Sluis Van Shipyards

Weird paint problem help me figure it out!

Post by Sluis Van Shipyards »

I wish I had a picture of this, but I've got what looks like dust on my paint job, but it's not dust. My first guess would be it's paint that dried before it hit the surface, but it's in areas where overspray isn't likely to hit it. It's mostly in tight areas. Check this picture of the model: http://rogue74.nt3.npsis.com/chissclawc ... 60505b.jpg

In the areas where the outside of the wing joins the wing pylon I get this problem along with the insides of the intakes. There's was also some along the ball cockpit sides. It's driving me nuts.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I wonder if it could be caused by static? It seems to be happening in corners, areas that are hard to sand, right? How "sticky" are the grains, can you wipe them off without too much trouble? I've had the same problem with spray paint, when I'd swear the model was clean as a whistle before I painted it.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I've had the same problem spraying primer on my Rommie scout, fuzzies in hard to reach places. Wish I knew what it was too. Sorry I can't help with a solution.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Did you mix 2 or more colors and airbrush or did you rattle can? If you airbrushed a mix of colors then I'm thinking they did not mix together good enough.
Normal?? What is normal??
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

It could be your paint is a bit too thick and the pressure high. I've found that when working with flat acrylics in the past.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Sluis Van Shipyards

It's just one color being sprayed. The pressure is right (15psi) and the paint seems to be thinned correctly because these areas are the only places this is happening. It's not sticky or anything, but you do need to use fine sandpaper to get it off.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Have you tried wiping those areas down with a tac rag after the paint has throughly dried? It may fix the problem with the fuzzies.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Sluis Van Shipyards

Yeah, but it's either the paint or it's in the paint. I used Floquil primer with Testors MM over top. I wonder if those two paints had a bad reaction for some reason? If that was the reason though, it be on the entire model.
Sluis Van Shipyards

Someone mentioned this problem might be from static. I'm starting to think that maybe the sanding built up a charge because while weathering this thing the chalk powder flew off the brush onto the model in a few areas. I wonder how you get rid of a static charge in styrene if that's the problem?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I would think rinsing it would dissapate the static charge. I'm not quite sure what to tell you here...

Terry Miesle
Sluis Van Shipyards

I'm thinking exorcism... :lol:
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

What about walking outside and touching it to the ground?

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Sluis Van Shipyards

I think I ruined my theory. I wiped off some pastel chalk with wet toilet paper and it also created static electricity. So I'm not sure if it's the same thing with the paint or not. I'm going to try and sand a piece of bare styrene and see if the sanding creates a charge too.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

When I was in the hobby shop this afternoon, they had some anti-static swabs. Looked like it was custom made for this situation...

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

Sluis Van Shipyards wrote:It's just one color being sprayed. The pressure is right (15psi) and the paint seems to be thinned correctly because these areas are the only places this is happening. It's not sticky or anything, but you do need to use fine sandpaper to get it off.
I think you are airbrushing too far from the model. Get closer.
Sluis Van Shipyards

I'm pretty sure I'm close enough, around 4-5inches. That's what I thought initially, but if this was the problem the paint would be like that all over the model, not just tight areas.
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

I had a problem with PolyScale flat for a little while. Eventually I figured out I was spraying at too low a pressure. I was painting at low pressure/low volume detail work and just left the pressure low. When I eventually brought it back up I got better atomization and bettery pre-drying and had no problems. Also, I painted a lighter coat.

Now no problems with PolyScale again. It's my favorite acrylic flat.

I do like and use PolyScale's Plastic Prep too. It removes surface oils, and addresses the static issue, too.

Terry Miesle