Polishing Alclad II/metalizer paints

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Ron

Polishing Alclad II/metalizer paints

Post by Ron »

I just finished painting the early version of NASA's 747 shuttle transporter with Alclad II Aluminum metallic paint.

With the exception of the tail section and a red, white and blue stripe around the plane, the early version of this 747 is almost entirely unpainted aluminum. I would like to polish the bottom half to give it a slightly different look than the top half.

I checked with the Aircraft Resource Centre but didn't quite find enough information on polishing metalizer paints.

I don't want a high gloss polish, just considering a little bit of a buff up to give a slight sheen to the model. I was contemplating using my dremel tool with a soft cloth buffing tip, or just a quick hand polish/buff with a clean soft cloth.

Does anyone have any useful tips?
Ron
Maritime Science Fiction Modelers
http://msfm.seryan.com/ron_e.htm
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Ron,

In my limited experience with buffing Metallizers, I've polished them about an hour after they've been sprayed. I use toilet paper, folded very tightly into a small square. I use the fold edge for the buffing. Be careful, though, and don't gouge with any corners in the folded toilet paper.

Also, you can produce a neat effect by buffing one panel one direction, and buffing adjacent panel in another direction.

My experience, though, is lacking. I usually just use it for small areas.

I hope this helps. :)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.