What are people looking for in a Klingon lighting kit?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Madman Lighting

What are people looking for in a Klingon lighting kit?

Post by Madman Lighting »

HI folks,

A little customer feedback please! I'm designing a lighting kit for "most Klingon" ships and here's what I've got so far:

Torpedo Effect: One red, one white LED, plus some fiber optic bundle. Red is on dimly all the time, then when the Fire button is pressed you get a quick ramp up coupled with a strobe from the white. Then back to dimly on. It would look mostly like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsn_Xr8Y2C4

White Strobe Markers: This is just like all my other white strobe marker Effects, about a 1 Hz brief flash, coupled to a single LED with fiber optics

Engine Effect: Two Red and one Yellow LED flickering with the same or similar pattern as my Millenium Falcon engine effect. You get a pseudo random flicker that is red-yellow-ish. Its this effect, except in red-yellow instead of blue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1hDb2Ow ... re=channel

Thats all I have room for on my product, any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

-John
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Madman Lighting

Is anyone even looking for something like this? Yikes!
SeoulWind

Post by SeoulWind »

As it happens, I came across a Tuskuda Klingon Bird of Prey not long ago, so something like this might be of value to me (I have a couple of ERTL KBoPs too that will need some lighting). The flicker effect video you posted is kindof washed out though- hard to really get an idea of what the end result would be. Do you have any better video of the effect?

Mark in Okinawa
"I ordered two hundred oxen, but they sent us all these little..weiner dogs..."

"STAMPEDE!"
Madman Lighting

I'll have a video when the prototype is finished, soon.

I'll paste a link to my YouTube page.
brt

Post by brt »

I'm not interested in the flickering engine effect. Flickering is fine for a bird of prey but not for a k'tinga or d-7. If the price is low enough I would be interested.
Madman Lighting

You wouldnt have to use the flickering engine FX, just not hook it up.

To add warp engine effects for those bigger ships, which would be constant on LEDs, probably two reds and maybe 4 greens, we'd have to go to the "BIG Klingon Lighting kit" which would add another circuit card to drive those extra LEDs.

Price for such a beastie would have to be around $85 -$90.

Alternately, you could buy the Klingon kit and a regular Delux-8, but that would be more expensive because of all the LEDs you get in D-8.
brt

Post by brt »

Thanks, but that's out of my price range and considering the lack of response I don't know how many you could expect to sell.
generalFROSTY

Post by generalFROSTY »

I would like to (some day) get a BOP kit - preferably the Tsukuda one, and have a light kit out there that I can purchase.
I would personally want the kit to have all the running lights/strobes as well as the torpedo and engine lights. A total package.
Madman Lighting

I'm actually getting ready to release just such a kit. Hope to show at Wonderfest this year.
generalFROSTY

Post by generalFROSTY »

Would the kit work with either the Tsukuda AND the AMT kit? I would prefer to find the Tsukuda kit - but it being such a rare kit, I may have to settle for the AMT kit - but I don't want to build it without lights. I really hope you can have this product available - keep me posted!!
Madman Lighting

I have them now!!

Yes, Madman Lighting is proud to announce that we now have Klingon Bird of Prey Lighting Kits!

This kit features all the above mentioned items which are:

Red-Yellow flickering engine effects
White strobe marker lights
Red and white Torpedo FX. Torpedo effect is the same as seen on my YouTube page: www.youtube.com/madmanlighting.

MSRP is $65.00
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Madman, you are a wizard with model spacecraft SFX! That Klingon torpedo effect is simply spectacular!
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Madman Lighting

Are you one of my lucky first few customers?

I was thinking of tweaking the FX so the red light of the torpedo is on about 10% power all the time, like in the movies... what do you think?

Right now, SSM Store has all the units built, all 5 of them. Next week after we finish decompressing from WF we'll crank out some more.

Thanks.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Ah, not *yet*; I saw the video on your YT page. I'm waiting till R2 releases their remodeled (no pun intended) Bird of Prey kit. But yes, I would like that option. :D
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
generalFROSTY

Post by generalFROSTY »

I'm cerrtainl down for a full BOP lighting kit - so long as it is pre-wired and ready to install.
I am really looking forward to the new Round 2 BOP kit (I think it is coming out in the fall??) so I will need the lights to go with it!
Keep us posted!
Madman Lighting

Well,

You could look at this here: http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/shop/ind ... rentCat=92

Its the newly released Klingon Lighting kit. Its just like all my other kits, a pre-assembled and tested controller card, make all the connections with wire-wrap.

For a few dollars more, I'll make you a custom one with a couple of power plugs added and I'll even add a small wall transformer if you ask nicely. (and pay a touch more).

I've seen the new Round 2 Klingon Kit, its basically the same as the old AMT kit in size and shape but they used up the volume of the lower half of the body to add landing gear. Thats OK, my stuff should still fit fine. Once I get a few other things in life taken care of, I"ll do a build up.

-John
generalFROSTY

Post by generalFROSTY »

Thank you for offering this lighting kit!
I plan on purchasing it when R2 releases the new BOP kit.