What is the diference between primer and flat gray paint?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

No_6

What is the diference between primer and flat gray paint?

Post by No_6 »

Just curious. Does primer stick better? Is it thicker?
I am not a number.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Primers are typically hotter and tougher. They may also be thicker to help fill small imperfections.
Abolish Alliteration
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

A primer is also able to stick to almost any surface and vice virsa.
Normal?? What is normal??
AbsoluteSciFi

Post by AbsoluteSciFi »

Primer/Sealers

Straight primers are designed to provide a surface that paint bonds to. Sealers are designed to fill imperfections and provide a barrier between the surface and the paint. Different surfaces require different sealers, most metals require at least a enamel sealer, if not an epoxy sealer, while most any other surface could take a latex based primer.

Priming a surface involes a chemical reaction in the paint that binds with the surface in question. Some paints this reaction goes so far as to etch the surface at the time.

Paints

Paints ussually have more pigment- or toners, (the stuff that IS the color) vs binders, (the stuff that chemically binds the paint to a surface) and therefore need to be used and perform best with a primer. Some paints have only the toner- and need a sealer/clearcoat to provide protection from the elements.

Post#12
"He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick- is blind! But, he who sticks out in darkness is... Florescent!"
DM: "LOSE 50 experience points..."
Gamers II: Dorkness Rising

http://www.myspace.com/absolutescifi
SciFiGuy
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You do know that there is no such thing as a latex primer, latex paints are actually acrylic and contain no latex.
Abolish Alliteration
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Kylwell wrote:You do know that there is no such thing as a latex primer, latex paints are actually acrylic and contain no latex.
It's still what it's called, though, no matter what it's made of. Seems like a moot point.

I always thought primers were lousy topcoats because they seem to attract dirt a lot more and don't stand up to abuse as well. Of course it would depend on the primer, but I assume we're talking about things you can use on the small scale.

-Rog
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

If I'm going to prime, and I don't always, it's usually Mr. Surfacer.
Abolish Alliteration