Blue screen question

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

jtparker

Blue screen question

Post by jtparker »

What colors are acceptable on a miniature that will show up on film correctly and not bleed into the superimposed background in a blue screen shot? I assume blue of course, and maybe green, but are there any other colors I should worry about before final painting? If anyone has any experience or answer to this question, thanks a ton in advance!
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Basically blues, but that will depend on which color will "key". Basically anything close to that color will not show, so give yourself a bit of latitude (that's why there were no "blue' X-Wing squadron onscreen) and stick to grays, reds and yellows/oranges. Greens are a bit too close for comfort. Also, keep everything as flat (matte) as possible: Glossy paint jobs may reflect the back and 'open a hole' in the shot model.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
jtparker

Post by jtparker »

Thanks Chacal!

That is basically what I reasoned, but I just was not sure. I was not planning on using blue or green, but I needed to confirm that yellow was ok, which it sounds like it is fine. Matte and flat colors it will be.

I really appreciate your help!
brt

Post by brt »

http://www.color-chart.org/color-wheel.php color wheel charts will help give you an idea of what's to close or not.
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

You may want to backlight with a straw filter to help pop your model from the blue screen.

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Keep the model away from the blue screen. That'll accomplish the following: help keep the shadow from the model from showing up on the blue screen; make the screen out of focus, so any imperfection/blemish won't show in the picture; minimize any color bleed from the blue screen onto the back of the model.

The problem is that you'll need a bigger screen.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.