Airbrush suggestions needed

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

Airbrush suggestions needed

Post by Callandor »

I have started playing around with airbrushing and I am really diging it. I am using an old Testor can propelled one that I got YEARS ago and never opened. I would like to get a better one and would like some suggestions.

- I need one that is as easy to disassemble and clean as possible because I only have one hand and very little free time to boot. Do they make ones with quick release connectors on the tubes?
- What brands will hold Model Master bottles without putting the paint into a seperate container. I would like to avoid juggling paint from one container to another.
psytce

Post by psytce »

The airbrush I would recommend for you is the Paasche H. This is a single action airbrush. The bottle assembly of the 1/2 oz. bottle fits the 1/2 oz testor model master bottles. You still have to thin the paint, but you can use the bottles.

The H is very easy to clean at the end of the day, just remove the needle housing from the AB and clean. It comes apart easy and you can clean it with pipe cleaner and solution.

Tommy
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I'd go with an Eclipse, siphon fed. Why? Well, you really don't have to clean it very often other than spraying cleaner through it between paint and @ the end of a session. Pulling the needle out and whipping it down takes care of the rest of the cleaning.

As for bottle use, I made an adapter out of a jar feed and an old paint jar (in my cae it was a Tamiya bottle). All you need to do is drill a hole in the top and bolt the siphon feed from the other bottle in place.
Abolish Alliteration
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

You can't go wrong with an Iwata. The Eclipse is a great suggestion. You will get years of enjoyment out of that brush.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

Does Hobby Lobby carry any good airbrushes? They always have that 40% off coupon, so I thought I might be able to get one pretty cheap there.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It depends on the Hobby Lobby. I've ran across Iwata's @ the one near me, but farther away all they had was cheapo $15 Badgers.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Online a good choice is Dixie Arts.
http://www.dixieart.com/Dixie_Art_Suppl ... _Page.html

I've come to like gravity-fed airbrushes more than siphon.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I still prefer Tom. Anybody I can call up and bitch @ about something is somebody I'll do biz with.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I am remiss in not mentioning Tom's store. Good prices and it's Tom.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati