Applying cement to long seams/joints . . .

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

Applying cement to long seams/joints . . .

Post by Callandor »

What is a good way to apply plasic cement to long seams or joints. By the time I get to the end, the first part has dried up and won't stick when I put the pieces together. If I put it on thick enough that it doesn't dry up, then it oozes out. Suggestions?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I brush liquid cement (Tenax) into the seam with the pieces nearly together. Capilary action draws it around so you only need to touch a few point. Then clamp and sand off the excess.
Abolish Alliteration
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I also use a touch'n'flow
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I use Robb's method, but, if the area's hard to get to, I will just get a drop on the POINTED end of a straight pin and touch it to the seam. Same deal with the capillary action - it pulls it into the seam.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

And where you can, glue from the inside. That way you can put it on pretty thick and not have marks.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati