Glue Question

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

mbuk77

Glue Question

Post by mbuk77 »

I need some advice please on the best glue to use on plastic model kits. I've just finished a Fine Molds X-Wing 1/72 and used revell contacta glue on it. I had a few issues with it and made a mess in a couple of places.

Before I start my FM Falcon can any one recommend a brand/type of glue that works well on this type of plastic?
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

I have had good luck with Testor Plastic Cement, however, it works best when the surface being glued hsa no paint. It basically welds the plastic. It will still work on painted surfaces but it is much weaker.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Testors liquid cement, Tenax 7R, Tamiya cement, and Ambroid ProWeld all will work well with styrene and ABS. I prefer Ambroid myself, but it is quite "hot", and will turn a model into a gooey puddle if you're not careful. The trick with liquid cements is not which brand to use, but how you apply it. Most brands come with a little brush built into the cap. Throw the brush away, it is worse than useless. It doesn't allow for the precise, spot application you'll need, especially with tiny parts, (such as on the Fine Molds Falcon). I don't know how you are set for hobby shops in your part of the UK, but most of them will carry at least some of these cements. They should also carry some type of glue applicator, be it a hypodermic syringe, touch-and-flow applicator, or whatever. Ask the people behind the counter what they've got for glue applicators, and what they recommend.

Worst case scenario, use a sewing needle. Stick the pointy end into an old rubber eraser or a piece of cork, then clip off or grind off the very end of the loop, so you have a tiny fork. This will allow you to place tiny drops of glue, one at time, exactly where you want them. No mess. It also works for CA glue, (superglues). When using CA, it will build up on the fork and clog it. Just burn the residue off with a lighter, (and for goodness sake don't breathe it in!) Eventually burning the CA off repeatedly will wear the fork down until it is useless, so just throw it away and make another one.

Using a needle for an applicator works, but it is slow and tedious. Better to see if your hobby shop carries something else first.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
max142

Post by max142 »

I use the needle method and Proweld. I find using the largest needle in a mult pack to work the best.

I've never used the needle for CA. For that, I use a cheap mechanical pencil. Just poke out some lead the CA will stick to the lead and touch where you want it to go. After a while just break off the end and click out more lead.