Micro Sol setting solution

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Nighteagle

Micro Sol setting solution

Post by Nighteagle »

I was wondering if anyone has used this and how good it was ?
"Adults are just obsloete children, and to hell with them" - Dr Seuss
Malcolm M

Post by Malcolm M »

I've used Micro Sol and Set for years now without any problems (apart from ones I created :oops: ) They are great for hard to decal surfaces.
MML

Post by MML »

Absolutely great stuff, you'll wonder how you lived without it! :)
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Absolutely. I _never_ decal without them. Never. Been using them for over 30 years.

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I too use them every time I decal. Don't decal without them.
Abolish Alliteration
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Started using it early 80s for model RR stuff. Very good. If a more potent solution is needed on some decals, model RR supplier Walthers makes one called Solvaset but it can be too strong for some decals.

Microscale also has a liquid decal film which can be employed to salvage old decals which might be prone to cracking. Can't save everything, but it could be worth a try.

:arrow: have to remember to leave decal alone while Micro Sol works. Set model aside and go bake cookies or something.

:arrow: even when using Micro Sol, remember, decals like smooth gloss paint surfaces a whole lot more than the microscopic sandpaper texture surface of flat paint.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
kerick

Post by kerick »

Ditto all above. Use gloss paint or clear gloss finish before decals or they will silver no matter what you use.
I like dreams of the future better than the history of the past.
Patrick Henry
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

I use Walthers Solvaset. Walthers is one of the very first hobby decal makers in the USA. (1932 IIRC) I now make all my own decals and I like Solvaset the best. Some say it's too hot but used right it's GREAT!.....only IMHO....
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

DaveVan wrote:I use Walthers Solvaset. Walthers is one of the very first hobby decal makers in the USA. (1932 IIRC) I now make all my own decals and I like Solvaset the best. Some say it's too hot but used right it's GREAT!.....only IMHO....
Believe it or not, I've used decals that neither Solvaset nor Microsol would hardly touch. Old Takara decals for Dougram. Stunningly tough.
Abolish Alliteration
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I use Micro Set & Sol for coercial decals (except Revell Germany kits - they don't seem to work with them) and I use Humbrol DecalFix 1 & 2 for home-made and Revell decals.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

DaveVan wrote:I use Walthers Solvaset. Walthers is one of the very first hobby decal makers in the USA. (1932 IIRC) I now make all my own decals and I like Solvaset the best. Some say it's too hot but used right it's GREAT!.....only IMHO....

Solvaset has to be used with great discretion. I consider it the "nuclear option" on decals that refuse to behave. Usually very thick Japanese decals. You cannot let it pool or puddle, it must be lightly, lightly dabbed on. It WILL melt decals and cause them to run. It's happened to me too many times.
Ace Airspeed

Post by Ace Airspeed »

Kylwell wrote:Believe it or not, I've used decals that neither Solvaset nor Microsol would hardly touch. Old Takara decals for Dougram. Stunningly tough.
Wow! :shock:

Solvaset is my setting solution of very last resort..........sort of like alien blood.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Application is the key with Solvaset...but I use it exclusively on all decals....Microscale, Chatagraph and my own made with decafix paper.
it's all in the process. Maybe because I started with Solvaset in my model railroad days I never have an issue.