White glue

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

holt

White glue

Post by holt »

I've herd of white glue before and my current model has a few decals that are lifting so is white glue elmer glue or somthing else.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Elmer's glue is correct. Johnny, tell him what he's won!! He's won the best way to re-stick those decals!! :D

Just dilute is a fair bit (with plain water), and use a fine tip brush to get it under the decal. Then dab it down into place with a wet Q-Tip, and wipe off the excess glue right away.

Oh, forgot to add; You can also do the same thing with Future.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

I would suggest using Future first, because it will wick under the decal and makes a great top coat as well. You end up "sandwiching" the decal between two thin layers. You can't do that with white glue, Elmers or otherwise.

Well, you can, but it would look mighty awful.
holt

Post by holt »

Thanks guys I've never seen future at any store if I can find it do I have to thin it with water.
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

Look at your local grocery or drug store where the floor polish is stocked. We all call it Future because that's what it was called for decades, but nowadays it's called "Pledge Premium Floor Finish with Future Shine".

Here's a pic:

http://www.ninfinger.org/models/vault20 ... Polish.JPG
holt

Post by holt »

Thanks Harry. :D
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

You're welcome. And I missed the last part of your question. No, there is no need to thin it. It's pretty thin as is. You can brush it straight from the bottle or airbrush it straight from the bottle. I do know a couple of guys who like to thin it with rubbing alcohol for airbrushing, but they are nuts. It's unnecessary.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

How about putting future in a plastic bottle that has a pump spray ? such as an old & cleaned out windex bottle, can future be misted on a model without looking splattered or uneven ? I would like to protect my model finishes with future but do not own an airbrush, any suggestions ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

Use a soft, wide brush. Future can be painted quite easily. It seems to go down a little thick like that, but it self levels and isn't quite so thick once dry. I don't think I'd try it in an old spray bottle on anything important without testing first. I brush it fairly frequently though.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The little makeup sponge brushes are great for working with Future- you can remove the excess easily and don't run the risk of cotton fibers from a swab.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati