I have a question about labels on stuff?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

david bailey

I have a question about labels on stuff?

Post by david bailey »

Dear modelers i have a question i like to ask.How do you remove labels from containers and such?.I have tried several methods.Some labels are easy and some are a hard bear to remove.I use all kinds of different containers for my scratch builds.I have tried soaking them in hot water weighted down to loosen up the labels/followed by using rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover.Is there something esle to use to make getting the labels and the sticky mess off easier?.
david bailey
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

It depends on what material the container is made of and what kind of glue was used to stick the label on. Can you give specific examples of ones you're trying to remove?
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by hotrodnz »

Hi

I found that using masking tape (the normal-tack stuff from hardware stores etc) removes the nasty sticky gluey blobs quite well.

Quickly press a short strip of masking tape on and off the sticky surface and the little sticky blobs will be pulled off onto the tape. Repeat with a fresh strip when the blobs don't lift off any more.

This works well after you've cleaned off all of the paper bits of the label by water / alcohol.

Cheers
david bailey

follow up reply

Post by david bailey »

Most of the containers are diferent shaped pill bottles, and genreal bottles with labels that are glued on with some real sticky glue to attach the labels.The hardest part is removing the label and glue.I use what ever bottle that has a weird shape to it for starship scracth bulids. I don't know what the plastic is. I would say its tough plastic type.I am not taking about drink bootles though.,the plastic is to soft.Most of the containers are generally bottles that hold stuff and i use with different shapes.I am just looking for a easier way to remove the label and glue,the glue is the worst part.
david bailey
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Two words: Goo-Gone.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I've always used WD-40. Most people have it in their home already. Try soaking the outer "paper" part for a while, then try to peel it off. After that, spray more on and rub residue with an old cloth rag. Repeat as needed. Wash off WD with dish soap.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

There are some labels that you can't remove. There is an increasing tendency when using clear food packging - bulk ice cream tubs for example for the label to be printed on a clear plastic sheet. That is then inserted in the mold and the plastic injected. The label and the package become a single item.

Reason I know this is I just completed a case where the label manufacturer used a defective batch of ink and this wasn't discovered until the tubs were made. Hundereds of thousands wasted. Fortunately we were able to counter claim against the supplier of the ink.....

Otherwise. (1) Hot water (2) rubbing alcohol or (3) WD40
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
Wug

Post by Wug »

A soaking in lamp oil will remove most but not all labels.

Mike
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

Either Bestine or Rapid Remover.

Both can be found at a sign supply store such as www.wensco.com

Glen
david bailey

thanks for the replys

Post by david bailey »

Thanks for the replys.I plan on doing some experimenting and found out what works better than what i have been doing to make it easier.Some of the stuff mentioned i never would have thought about useing.I have lots of chemicals in my garage.I have goo gone,wd-40 and lamp oil.I always keep lamp oil in case the lights go out with the wind and winters we have. As for the other stuff mentioned i have never heard of it and the nearest sign shop is 50 miles away.I plan on trying different stuff to see what works good.If anyone has any any other ideas&methods,please let me know. thanks to all.
david bailey
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

Might be able to get the Bestine at an Art Store as well. Maybe even a hardware store.