Old decals

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

JeffCapo

Old decals

Post by JeffCapo »

I'll keep it brief to not take up a bunch of space.
I just finished a USS Defiant AMT/Ertl kit. Got it off eBay sometime ago, started, stopped, put it away for awhile. Anyway, did the decals tonight. Looks like there is a white film underneath. Possible the decals have aged badly? Any solutions?

Thanks for your time.
Jeffrey T. Capo

My Trek Models - http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m151 ... %20Models/

Senior Referee - National Wrestling Alliance (retired 2008)
NWA Referee of the Year 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

Earth-2 - A world much like our own, yet slightly different. There, young and old heroes have joined forces to battle evil. The newest Heroes joining the champions of the Golden Age in the - Justice Society of America
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

:ttiw:
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
JeffCapo

Post by JeffCapo »

Jeffrey T. Capo

Earth-2 - A world much like our own, yet slightly different. There, young and old heroes have joined forces to battle evil. The newest Heroes joining the champions of the Golden Age in the - Justice Society of America
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Looks like typical "silvering". Only way to fix that is to get new decals, and make sure you apply them over a smooth, gloss surface.
John Fleming
JeffCapo

Post by JeffCapo »

so, I should've sprayed the model with a clear gloss before applying decals? Because I know some of the paints I used (Polly Scale) were definitely not glossy.

BTW, thanks for the tip!
Jeffrey T. Capo

Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Always put decals on a smooth gloss surface. :) Even if the final colour needs to be flat. Use the gloss version of the colour you want, clear coat, decal, clear coat, and then dull coat if needed. The reason for clear coating before decals is give you a barrier in case you mess up the decals and you need to strip them off. That way, you are ONLY removing the decals, and not your nicely finished paint job. And the second clear coat is to seal the decals in to protect them and to stop them from lifting.

Gloss paints will always give you a nicer finish, they will flow out, and level themselves, where as most flats will leave a texture, including brush strokes. The texture is why flat paints are, well, flat. :)
John Fleming
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Considering the red stripes on that kit are some what long and probably difficult to manage I would suggest using tape for the border on the stripes and apply red paint in place of the decals.
Normal?? What is normal??