re-finishing/decaling a kit

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MrNobudy

re-finishing/decaling a kit

Post by MrNobudy »

Ok, heres the set up. I have a Starcrafts Akira that was gloss coated over 3 years ago, and decals were applied. After the decals were on, it was found out that the maker had used a thicker paper, and it didn't react well with my setting solution(micro sol/set)
i then removed the decals.

I have new decals and want to get them on to finish up the kit finally. I used testors acryllic gloss coat on it. but the model masters enamel based paints for painting.

what would be the best process to remove any of the left over residue from the decals/setting solution and/or remove the gloss coat. if the coat is there for good, not that big of a deal, i am more conserned with the decal residue.

thanks!!
Part of the Lowest Common Denominator and エッチ の は proud of it!
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

A good wash in warm water should remove any lingering decal adhesive or setting solutions.

You may want to try windex or similar ammonia-based cleaner to remove the acrylic clear coat, test first though.

Ken
Pengbuzz

Post by Pengbuzz »

On stripping a kit down, i have used easy-off oven cleaner with a great deal of success. It removes paint and decals as well, and goes back to the plastic without damaging it. (although I would be careful around clear plastics such as windows and canopies).

In any event, seeing as you have a resin kit, i would test this out on a scrap of resin or an old resin model you don't care about first. See if and how it may affect the resin underneath.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Pengbuzz wrote:On stripping a kit down, i have used easy-off oven cleaner with a great deal of success. It removes paint and decals as well, and goes back to the plastic without damaging it. (although I would be careful around clear plastics such as windows and canopies).

In any event, seeing as you have a resin kit, i would test this out on a scrap of resin or an old resin model you don't care about first. See if and how it may affect the resin underneath.
I don't think he wants to strip off all of the paint job, instead he just wants to be able to remove left over decal adhesive and to do that I just use a damp paper towel before it drys.
Normal?? What is normal??