Removing Permanent Marker From Styrene?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Tchail

Removing Permanent Marker From Styrene?

Post by Tchail »

I'm looking for a way of safely removing permanent marker from styrene.

I used a thin Sharpie to mark the lit windows on my Enterprise-D, and now that I've drilled out the holes, I'd like to remove the color so I can get a better look at the underlying plastic.

A search on the net brought up everything from pencil eraser to hand sanitizer to dry-erase marker.

Is there anything that won't ruin styrene?

(I know that acetone is flat out.)

Thanks,

-Tchail
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Malcolm M

Post by Malcolm M »

Recently my wife was marking out a route on a map on her laptop lid. Well when she was done an exact copy had bled through the paper onto the plastic.

Lighter fluid removed the Sharpie without damaging the plastic. I suggest you try it on a spare piece of sprue first to be sure it doesn't harm the styrene.

If that doesn't work check on the web for "Goo Gone ink remover". I've never used it, but heard good things about it.

Good luck,
Malc.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

IPA - Isopropyl Alcohol works too. But lighter fluid is good.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
eeun

Post by eeun »

I've used Goo-Gone and a toothbrush on ABS computer cases before, with good results. Should in theory work just as well on Styrene. Didn't eliminate it 100%, but should give you enough removal for a re-prime without getting bleed-through (hopefully!)
It won't harm the plastic at all, and a good soap and water will remove any of its citrus residue.

Easy-Off oven cleaner might be an effective last-resort, but don't leave it on for more than a few hours or it may start to brittle the plastic.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Use 90-percent isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol. Your problems are solved. :)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Yup - I mark up the glassware for labs all the time.Quick squirt from the bottle of alcohol(isopropyl or denatred) and it just goes away.

Neither will affect styrene.

Kev
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Sharpies are fierce. There's a chance there's going to be some bleed into the plastic—the isopropyl alcohol will remove everything off the surface, but you may have a faint 'ghost' on the styrene.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

Hand sanitizer works great.

It's mostly isoproyl alcohol anyway.

I'm not worried about any ghosting on the plastic, as the kit will be primed and painted anyway.

Thanks guys!

-Tchail
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Simple bathroom cleaner will take it off. SPray on, wipe off. So will rubbing alcohol.
Abolish Alliteration
Apollo Adama

Post by Apollo Adama »

Rubbing alcohol is pretty much the universal solvent for a sharpie or other permanent marker.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Fire?
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Stu Pidasso wrote:Fire?
CPL Hicks wrote: I say we take off, nuke the Sharpie from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.