back lit panel help

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

rgalla

back lit panel help

Post by rgalla »

i am putting the AMT star trek command bridge together, i got the backlit sheets for the controls.. but the only problem is 1) this is my first time with back-lit panels. 2) the instructions arent much help. does anybody know if i need to use a light source with them. can i use them as is. and any ideas on what kind of light source i would need. i have built many figure models, and like i said this is my first non figure kit. also how do you glue the panels on? thanks
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

A backlit panel yes, would need a light source. The panel allows light to pass thru it and illuminate buttons and screens and such. Depending on how many panels you have a simple setup of LEDs powered by two AA batteries will probably work. For attaching the panels I would sugget regular Elmers white glue, Micro Krystal Kleer, 5 minute epoxy, watch crystal cement, etc. I would stay away from regualr models glues and super glues as they may attack,craze and fog your panels as they are probably from some type of clear printed acetate.
Redfern

Post by Redfern »

I remember a snapshot posted at CulTVMan's site where someone took a very "casual" approach and simply wrapped a coil of "cable" lights (a string of LEDs housed in a flexible, transparent tube) around the outer "backside" of the fully assembled kit. You would still need a separate illumination source for the "astrogator" (Durr, is that something like a Gorn? :wink: ) and the navi-helm console.

Sincerely,

Bill
Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!
rgalla

Post by rgalla »

OK THANKS