10mm styrene

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

azdave

10mm styrene

Post by azdave »

Hello,
Can I use a sheet metal or wood screw on 10mm styrene to a base made of MDF?
Thanks,
Dave
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Yes, but pre-drill your hole and go slow.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
azdave

Post by azdave »

Can I use a counter sink bit to make the screw sit flush in the MDF? Thanks for the reply.
Thanks,
Dave
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Yes you can, but glueing the styrene down may prove to be a better bet. Depending on what screws you are using you might get a bit of drift when you actually secure them, causing a bit of a wave to your styrene.

My recommedation is to glue first then screw it down after the glue dries, for extra strength.

TazMan2000
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I second Taz's recommendation. Depending on the roughness of the MDF, I have secured styrene to MDF using thinned Aves Apoxie sculpt for really rough MDF or just CA glue for smooth MDF. If you don't have access to Aves, and you have rough MDF to contend with, you could rough up the underside of the styrene with sandpaper. Then, smear a wide, thin layer of white glue on it and apply it to the MDF. As long as you're not trying to pry it up with a screw driver, it's going nowhere. Place a book on it while it dries.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.