Best filler and process for 1/537 AMT Refit

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Best filler and process for 1/537 AMT Refit

Post by DeltaVee »

Should I post this in the Star Trek forum? What is the best filler for all those bogus panel lines on the AMT Refit Enterprise? Squadron Green? Red? Aves? ALSO: Given the elbow grease required, is this filling best done on individual parts before assembly? Or as major subassemblies - saucer, secondary hull, pylons, nacelles? Or only when the model is fully assembled? I ask this because I wonder if the filler would chip, flake, pop out during initial sanding, later assembly, etc. as parts get flexed, etc. Thanks for any advice.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Individual sub assembnlie or before glueing pieces together would be best as well as after putting and sanding paint said sub assemblies in so the putty will not 'chip, flake or come undone'.
Normal?? What is normal??
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

You can also try sanding the panels without any putty/filler. I've seen a few projects here that were made smooth without any putty.

BTW, Have you made any progress on this?
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

I'd like to hear what other people have filled the lines with, although sanding would be a partial solution. I haven't started until I finish six resin Trek ships now on the bench.
walter

Post by walter »

Duplicolor filler primer will make the filling les of a pain . 4 or 5 coats then sand ,then do it all over again till you have it the way you want it.
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Good tip at a better price than Gunze. Thanks.