help glueing deodorant bottle

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

help glueing deodorant bottle

Post by raser13 »

hey guys this is a little more of an odd question. i'm building the vacu-form avenger class ship and i was wanting to correct the issue of no main sensor dish on it. i decided that i wanted to use the lid off of an old deodorant stick. the only problem is that the plastic that it's made of won't let super glue or resin stick to it. i even roughed up the plastic to try to get the resin to stick together, and no good. anyone have any idea what i could use to get this to stick to the model?
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Mechanical means: wires, screws... A few plastics (almost all of the ones used in deodorant and food containers) are notoriously 'ungluable'. Some will accept forms of hot-melt glue, some not even that. If you can add wires looped through the part (like a shirt button) and attach those wires to the 'hull', that's the best way. Or you can use small screws (maybe reading glasses hinge screws with nuts).
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I wish I could remember who turned me onto this stuff because they deserve the finder's credit, but about the only glue out there for polypropylene and polyethelene (probably one of those is what you have) is Tech-Bond. It will glue anything, including Teflon, which is just mind boggling.

I'd get the Basic Plus, because you get twice as much for only $5 more.

-Rog
Master Jedi Mike

Post by Master Jedi Mike »

If I may paraphrase Laurie Berkner;

"Wait a minute, we're modelers! We don't wear deodorant!"

"Let's go swimming, let's go swimming..."
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Could you use the deodorant cap to make a smash-formed or vac-formed shape from plain old styrene? Thus negating the need to invest in an uber-adhesive...?
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

Joseph Osborn wrote:Could you use the deodorant cap to make a smash-formed or vac-formed shape from plain old styrene? Thus negating the need to invest in an uber-adhesive...?
i liked the odd ball green color of it. that's why i didn't just mold it up and resin cast it. i'll have to give the tech bond a try.thanks.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Tech-Bond is nice to have around because, unlike superglue, it actually WILL glue a man wearing a hard hat to a steel beam.

:)

-Rog