Bondo as cement

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Space Garbageman

Bondo as cement

Post by Space Garbageman »

I'm considering using bondo (generic small b) as a gap-filling adhesive. It's to bond MDF to acrylic tube. I know it sticks well to both materials and I plan to use "plastic thinner" to make it more flowing. Anyone ever try this sorta thing? I know it's not as strong as epoxy, but...
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Use the thick JB Weld...
It is thick like bondo, and it is epoxy. :wink:

or thin JB weld, or thin it with denatured alcohol... :?
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Squall67584

Post by Squall67584 »

I wouldn't use bondo as an adhesive. It tends to be really brittle and would possibly break away easily. I'd go with what was suggested above. I've also used Aves paste to put two halves of a model together, but I've only used it for that purpose once.
"I never wanted to be anything else but an Engineer." - Montgomery Scott

My Star Wars "fanfic" story series. Sequel in Progress!
Remnants of the Force

Way of the Blaster
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I'm not sure what you mean by "plastic thinner", but if you want to make Bondo more liquid, the best thing is fiberglass resin. Just mix both seperately and then mix them together in whatever amount gives you the consistency you want (though I probably wouldn't do more than 50% fiberglass resin). The good part about this is that the thing you're using to dilute it also hardens, so you're not sacrificing the strength.

As far as whether or not you should use it as a glue I will leave to the rest of the panel.

-Rog
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Use Aves Apoxie Sculpt. It is an excellent medium that, when cured, is the same hardness of styrene. It will bond your pieces. Have faith, brother Garbageman. Lightly sand thy halves and apply.

"And yea were the two halves of the union cemented, and the bench strengthened and the plowshare forged with the Aves bye and bye. They had been torn asunder by the iniquities of the Bondites and their sex mad baboons in the wilderness. May their wickedness rain ash and pestulance upon their builds and a pox upon their knives..."

~ Hasegawa's Letters to the Decals 2:23

[-o<

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.