Casting Parts Is Hard

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

El Gato
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of the imagination

Casting Parts Is Hard

Post by El Gato »

I'm casting a part out of my VF-1 Valk to use on my BSG Viper model. Out of three potential molds, only one worked. My first attempt to use the mold failed miserably when the plastic shrank and crumbled instead of curing.

The guys who scratchbuild and/or form garage kit companies always had my respect, but now it's at an entirely different level.
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

- Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes"
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

What were you using as a mold material and substrate?
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I used latex rubber. I've been using Aves putty for my new parts and they're not bad. Not great, but somewhat usable.
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Got a pic of the part? Or is the molds that you did the problem? And I think the latex rubber is your problem, also. I use RTV Silicone rubber, different altogether. How big is the part?

PM me if you need more help.

Oh- and thanks for the "respect". :D
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Lichtbringer

Post by Lichtbringer »

Try these cheap starter pack from Smooth-On - it will provide you with everything you need for your first steps in the casting work.

And .... thanks for the respect. :wink:

But it´s not needed - all this is just a matter of practice, as with every other technics at modeling, too. Noone is an artist with the airbrush from the start, noone starts his career as a weathering god, ... :wink:

Just give it a try, and take the chance to learn something new. :8)

You have taken your first step into a larger world. :D
Have a nice day.

Bye,
Michael

I´m just a simple man, trying to glue my way in the universe.
http://s527.photobucket.com/home/Lichtbote/allalbums
greasyspoon

Post by greasyspoon »

Using latex it hard.
Read this tutorial it helped me quite a bit.

http://www.castlemolds.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Sorry guys, I've been MIA for a while.

Lichtbringer, I've used Smooth-On before with mixed success. Unfortunately half of my latex tubes dried and the plastic deteriorated. My local hobby store doesn't carry smooth on so I decided to use liquid latex and Aves as the casting material. Out of four pieces that I've tried I've had success with one. >:(

El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Stu Pidasso wrote:Got a pic of the part? Or is the molds that you did the problem? And I think the latex rubber is your problem, also. I use RTV Silicone rubber, different altogether. How big is the part?

PM me if you need more help.

Oh- and thanks for the "respect". :D
Jimi - I never answered your question. Here is a pic of the part. It's an intake piece from a Hasegawa version of Macross VF-1:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j25/m ... CN4260.jpg

The superglue crystallized, making the parts look worse in the picture than they are in real life. In this shot they look better:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j25/m ... CN4258.jpg

Again, my pieces aren't as good as the original, but they make the Viper model look better than it would otherwise have been.

rokket2001

Post by rokket2001 »

With some practice it's really quite do-able. Maybe this will help:

http://amp.rokket.biz/lib_resources
AMP - Accurate Model Parts
http://amp.rokket.biz
www.talklikehal.com
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Resin/RTV ain't cheap, but starting with some small, no-pressure (I mean no pressure to get it right, not anything about pressure-casting) one-part moldable greeblie is a great way of getting acquainted with the process. It pays to hone your skills before you attempt to cast a foot-long, highly-detailed, thin-walled part.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.