Enterprise E paints

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

acemccloud

Enterprise E paints

Post by acemccloud »

Hey all, first post here.

Firstly, Im a newbie to trek modelling, my brother used to build the amt/ertl kits it in the early 90s and we recently found them when he was moving house. He never painted any of them so I was originally gonna buy some paint and have a go at his excelsior or reliant.

But, after spending hours on here and other sites looking at the amazing work that people are doing I've decided to have a go at building my own kit.

My brother got out of modelling before the Enterprise E was made, and after the refit I think its the coolest looking enterprise.

I've decided on the AMT/round 2 1/4000 kit, and I'd really like to do it justice. I havent modeled in years (last things I built were some airfix choppers and an airwolf kit from ebay about 8 years ago), so I know im gonna be fairly rusty.

Theres no model shop in my town so I'll be buying all the stuff online.

Can anyone let me know what I'll need to do a decent job on this? What tools will I need,, glue, types of paintbrushes? what types of paint to use? what colour paints to get? (I'd be doing it as seen in first contact).

I know there is a colour chart which I've seen on some threads here but I'm not sure which specific colours to buy.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I put it here as the paints are my main issue.

Thanks
Alan
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

Welcome Alan! You are coming back in to the hobby at a good time. There are a lot of kits out there and even better ones planned by model companies in the near future. May I recommend the starshipmodeler store here on this website. Their service and delivery is super fast! John and Linda are good folks as well! The best thing you can do is have a look around, ask questions and you are sure to get the help you need! What type of tools/ materials do you already have? Sprue cutters, files, hobby knife, fine sandpaper, airbrush etc?Then we can make recommendations on any other things you may need. Again, welcome and thanks for posting.

Have a look at this post for tool suggestions:

viewtopic.php?t=52909

Bryan
acemccloud

Post by acemccloud »

Hi Bryan, thanks for your reply and welcome.

I've ordered the E on thursday from the starship modeler store so hopefully I'll have it soon enough.

I have no tools right now, but I found a website and I've been picking bits and peices, masking tape, cutters, file, glue.

Theres a breakdown of colours to use on http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/misc/enterprise-e.htm and the pictures of the model on that site look like how I want to paint it so I'm picking paints that are close to the description.

I notice that I can get enamel or acrylic paint. Is there a time and place for each type or is it just personal preference?

Also, what size brushes should I be looking to get?