Which Liquid Mask?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

bobafett

Which Liquid Mask?

Post by bobafett »

I've never used liquid masks but was going to order some with my next order. I've found several brands on myatomic.com but don't know which is better.

http://www.myatomic.com/catalog/viewcat ... 207&page=3
there are several brands stretched out on the first 3 pages

Opinions please?
So Many Models... So Little Time...
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

What are you going to use them on? I don't use liquid mask too much anymore myself, I use blue-tak and silly putty more frequently.

Oh, and the oh-so-smooth Tamiya Tape. Buy some of that now.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

I'm not real familiar with those brands on your link-- I think they are geared toward the R/C crowd. If they contain ammonia, you'll want to be careful with them around acrylic paints. I think the liquid masks made by Microscale and Vallejo do not contain ammonia-- but don't hold me to it.

Edit: if you don't plan on needing a lot of liquid mask, then you can mix up a homebrew from Elmer's white glue and a little bit of dishwashing liquid (like Dawn). Ratio about 10 parts glue to one part Dawn. The soap breaks the surface tension of the glue and lets it flow to cover the surface more easily. The soap also acts like a release and lets the glue come off cleanly.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Joseph Osborn wrote:I'm not real familiar with those brands on your link-- I think they are geared toward the R/C crowd. If they contain ammonia, you'll want to be careful with them around acrylic paints. I think the liquid masks made by Microscale and Vallejo do not contain ammonia-- but don't hold me to it.

Edit: if you don't plan on needing a lot of liquid mask, then you can mix up a homebrew from Elmer's white glue and a little bit of dishwashing liquid (like Dawn). Ratio about 10 parts glue to one part Dawn. The soap breaks the surface tension of the glue and lets it flow to cover the surface more easily. The soap also acts like a release and lets the glue come off cleanly.
Any white (PVA) glue is good at this. Big warning, though.... It may seem obvious, but don't leave the mask on for any longer than you have to because eventually it will harden.

I don't use any of the proprietary masks and use the PVA glue most of the time or occasionally neat liquid latex. Latex contains ammonia, so like Joseph says, it can stain acrylic and even strip fairly fresh acrylic. But if the acrylic is more than a few days old and if you don't leave the mask on any longer than needed then you'll probably be OK.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
bobafett

Post by bobafett »

I had planned on using this on 2 different projects...

A Klingon Bird of Prey on the underside where the panel tops are to be red and on a Star Wars Slave 1 to simulate an extremely warn out paint job.

If it worked out I was also going to use it on aircraft (small scale) to mask the cockpit glass.

Thanks for alerting me of the ammonia concern... that's all I need is another hitch in my paint jobs

P.S. That link is not the only place I'd buy from, they happen to sell my favorite brand paints. If there's a better brand I'll buy it elsewhere.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

For worn-out paint, don't forget the old rubber cement trick :)
Antenociti

Post by Antenociti »

Joseph Osborn wrote:For worn-out paint, don't forget the old rubber cement trick :)
....?
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Antenociti wrote:
Joseph Osborn wrote:For worn-out paint, don't forget the old rubber cement trick :)
....?
Paint your basecoat; stipple or dab some rubber cement where you want your topcoat to be "worn through" and let if dry; paint the topcoat and then use tweezers or a pencil eraser to remove the rubber cement. Voila-- worn-through, chipped-up paint. :) Same thing can be done with liquid mask but you don't get that rubber-cement smell.
bobafett

Post by bobafett »

Joseph Osborn wrote:
Antenociti wrote:
....?
Paint your basecoat; stipple or dab some rubber cement where you want your topcoat to be "worn through" and let if dry; paint the topcoat and then use tweezers or a pencil eraser to remove the rubber cement. Voila-- worn-through, chipped-up paint. :) Same thing can be done with liquid mask but you don't get that rubber-cement smell.
Sounds like what I'm after...
veedubb67

Post by veedubb67 »

There's a product called Mold Maker that you can find at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. It's liquid latex and works great as a liquid mask. I've left it one for several weeks and never had a problem lifting it off and it doesn't pull up paint.

Rob
Iwata Padawan
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Salt weathering is among the easiest and most effective for chipped paint etc. I show it here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ter-or/set ... 704701438/
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

veedubb67 wrote:There's a product called Mold Maker that you can find at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. It's liquid latex and works great as a liquid mask. I've left it one for several weeks and never had a problem lifting it off and it doesn't pull up paint.

Rob
Iwata Padawan
That's what I use. I bought 12 ounces in 2005, and it's still going strong. You can also fint it at Wal-Mart.. I've never had a problem over dry - even freshly dried - acrylic.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.