Advice on painting photo etch

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Gouf

Advice on painting photo etch

Post by Gouf »

Hello,
I'm going to buy the photo etch interior for the 1/128 Flying sub that comes with the Seaview kit. I've had trouble with chipping or flaking of paint on larger previous photo-etch parts.

Any advice on advanced preparation or primer/paint that will adhere better with out loosing detail?

Thanks in advance,
~D.
-Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy, but socially dead!

My finished kits can be seen here: http://kitbash.net
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Mr. Surfacer 1000 or 1200. Make sure the surface is clean, I try to wipe the pieces down with some lacquer thinner if possible (if not some alcohol works).

Tamiya Super Fine also works well.
Abolish Alliteration
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

Swishing the parts around in a little vinegar works well too. Don't leave them in too long though as the parts may start to etch a little. Just a few minutes should be good enough. Next, be sure to rinse with water (distilled is best, if you have it). Then pat dry with a lint free rag or towel. Lastly, prime with the Mr. Surfacer like Robb mentioned. Works for me.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Gouf

Post by Gouf »

THanks guys :)

One of the big problems I had before was masking after having a base coat down. When I pulled up the tape, it sometimes lifted the paint/primer down to the brass again.

Any ideas there?

:idea:
-Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy, but socially dead!

My finished kits can be seen here: http://kitbash.net
Neb

Post by Neb »

I cleaned with lacquer thinner on my current project, primed with Mr Surfacer 1000, color coated 12 hours later. Picked out all the bezels 8hrs later. The next evening (24hrs) clear coated with future.

Next day, I installed in the cockpit. While masking out the cockpit to paint the fuselage, I un-knowingly pushed a piece of 6mm Tamiya tape up against the control panel. After removing the masking, I realized what had happened. I carefully removed the tape without a hitch. :)

Perhaps it had plenty of time to cure. :?

Or maybe the quality of the Tamiya tape saved me? :8)

That's my experience anyhow..... :) :wink:
George Seletas
Contest Chief
Amazing Model Contest
www.wonderfest.com
gseletas@wonderfest.com