"Dirt"

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Gauge

"Dirt"

Post by Gauge »

I'm working on a Mad Max Interceptor. I'm wanting to weather the interior before I put on the body but was wondering how I can "dust up" the interior. I've got a lot of real red dirt around my house that I can finely grind or use pastel chalk, which ever. But my question is how do I get it to stick? To me it seems that if I spread it around and then spray it with matte its going to blow away. :?:
G.
"There's only ONE ~'Return'~,.. and its NOT ~'Of The King'~... its ~'Of The Jedi'~.
Confucius 479 B.C.E
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Use the Tamiya weathering pastels. They have various rust and dirt colors to choose from; and while they are a little more expensive, the results are well worth it. :D
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

If you're worried about the matte clear blowing it all off, try spraying further back to help hold the pigments on, let that coat dry, then work closer to get more clear on the pastels.

Or you can use the trick that Mig Jimenez uses, place the dust on the model and then apply a thinner that's compatible with the paint, the thinner will help set the pastels/pigments.

If you're going for a super dusty/dirty look, you probably won't be able to set all of the pigments permanently, if you use enough matte clear to hold the pigments on, you'll probably end up blending a lot of them into the surface where they'll disappear. The old trick is to use paint for a lot of the dusty look, find a paint color that's close to the dust color and thin it down more than usual, spray it in layers to build up the opacity to what you want, this paint can represent either a fine film of dust or the bottom of thicker accumulations. Once you've painted everything, then apply pastels to show thicker and chunkier dust accumulations.

Ken
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

If you're blowing it off the model, you're too close or the pressure's up too high in the airbrush.

In my AFS MkI, I kept layering and layering the dust around the lower reaches of the figure. I overcoated with J.W. etc Matte coat shot at 15 psi from about 1/8-inch above the surface.

I mix the JW's as follows:

50 parts JW
50 parts denatured alcohol
20 parts water
5 parts Future (if I am using over dark colors, keeps it from looking dusty during successive coats)

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
greasyspoon

Post by greasyspoon »

here is a build of my Interceptor
http://www.happinessismandatory.com/mis ... ceptor.htm

Pastel Chalks work fine.
sci-fi-bldr

Post by sci-fi-bldr »

Lt. Z0mBe.......The bottom of that AFS...looks GREAT....nice work