I need advice about using spray cans.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

I need advice about using spray cans.

Post by Callandor »

1. What is they best way to keep lint and such from sticking in the paint? I always use some canned air to blow off the lint and dust before spraying, but I still end up with little pieces of lint stuck in the paint. I think it may be partly because of static electricity, but I don't know a good solution.

2. How do you guys clean your spray booths? I have a plastic container turned on it's side and it is getting a lot of paint built up. Also, I get a fine layer of dust inside it which is actually paint that dries before it hits the floor of the booth. I am thinking that the paint dust is contributing to issue #1 above. Suggestions?
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

I have a custom made spray booth that my father had made for me when I was a teenager. being made of sheet metal, I periodically strip it. then I'll coat the inside with a thin layer of machine oil. this helps me wipe it out every so often to keep the paint dust to a minimum. You could also use a shop vac and vacuum the inside of the box. My big shop vac will suck peeling paint right off of a basement floor.

To keep things dust free while curing, try spraying in a tub that comes with a lid. then immediately after you are done spraying put the lid in place.

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Wug

Post by Wug »

Hi Callandor,

I have a dust problem too. Ever notice married modelers don’t have dust problems? Apparently, the presence of a wman in the house keeps dust and lint from landing on scale models. Here are a few things that help.

A while before you paint, spray the room with a plant mister filled with water. The water mist will knock some of the dust out of the air and help with static electricity.

Cover the model while it dries. I used cardboard boxes then changed to plastic storage containers. Now I use an unplugged food dehydrator with most of the trays cut out to make room for large parts. I cover the food dehydrator with a plastic bag. Remember don’t plug it in.

If you’re painting and dust lands on the model, you might be able to avoid sanding and repainting. Stop painting and let the area around the dust flash dry. Try to blow the dust off. If that doesn’t work you can try lifting the dust off with some masking tape. In my experience, this works about 20% to 30% of the time for flat paint.

If you want a flawless deep gloss finish that wins at model car contests, you might need a wife or a maid.

HTH,

Mike
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Another good Idea is to buy a good air cleaner if you can afford it and run that in hte room you work in. It will help remove the airborne particles.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Wug wrote:Hi Callandor,

I have a dust problem too. Ever notice married modelers don’t have dust problems? Apparently, the presence of a wman in the house keeps dust and lint from landing on scale models....
My wife never dusts. I do.

Keeping dust & lint & cat hairs off a model.... The mister spray works wonders to reduce static in the air, same with a good aircleaner. I've tried sppraying kits with anti-static monitor spray but it leaves a film that paint doesn't like so I wouldn't advise that.
Abolish Alliteration