Compressor recommendations

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DNJimerson

Compressor recommendations

Post by DNJimerson »

My wife got me an airbrush for Christmas; it's actually the first one I've had which isn't part of an all-in-one set.

So, I need a "real" compressor to work with it. No idea where to start.
"Well, however it's pronounced, Spock, I'm going to tell you something you already know better than I do in order to let the audience in on it."

DRILL.
eeun

Post by eeun »

I picked up a 5-gallon twin-tank monster at Canadian Tire ( like this one at Walmart ) when it was on sale for about $130 CDN.

I had a constant-run compressor that was unbearably loud, so the difference is night and day. I run the compressor up to full, then switch it off. The tanks give me enough completely silent air to usually finish the job. Leaving the power on will cause the compressor to go on unexpectedly to top-up the tanks, which can startle and cause Bad Things to happen when you're trying to paint something delicate.

There's other compressors out there; quieter, lighter and dedicated more to artists than this beast, but it was cheap, and I use it for powered air tools as well, so it's hobby and utility.

I've had no trouble with moisture, unlike with the constant-on compressor, which needed a moisture trap yet still spit water occasionally. Since it's only on a short time, moisture pools in the bottom tank, and vents out the tank purge valve when I'm finished painting.

Not the type of compressor you'd want to move around a lot, though. :)
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

I've been using CO2 tanks for almost 10 years, but I wanted a backup compressor. Big-Dog (here on the board) recommended the Silentaire Scorpion I. I got mine at Mister Art - it's selling for $151 now.

I've been really pleased with it. It's not absolutely silent - it putters away - but my wife can't hear it in the next room; she can hear the airbrush, though.

I thought about getting the next model up, with more pressure, but I normally spray at between 10 - 15 psi (or even lower) so it hasn't been an issue. I got an extra long cord and the pulsation in the air stream is undetectable. The unit also comes with a moisture trap.

You may need to get an adapter to fit your airbrush to the hose.

Frank
DNJimerson

Post by DNJimerson »

Thanks, guys -- some things to think about. :)
"Well, however it's pronounced, Spock, I'm going to tell you something you already know better than I do in order to let the audience in on it."

DRILL.
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

I've used the Paasche D3000 for the past three years. It is super quiet, and comes with a small air tank attached. The compressor runs long enough to fill the tank and then automatically shuts off. The tank also acts kind of like a capacitor providing a super smooth air flow with or without the compressor running. My family bought it for me as a Christmas present from bearair.com. I believe it runs about $150.

I'd highly recommend it. :D
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

DNJ--

If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, wait for the 40% off coupon (sign up for their emails, and they will send it to you), and go score you an Iwata SmartJet. I think I paid less than $150 for mine, plus the lazy teenager running the register threw in the hose because he didn't want to look for a price. :?

If no Hobby Lobby, and you want something general purpose, Campbell Hausfeld has a nice 1 gallon "quiet" compressor. Dunno what they call quiet, though.

The SmartJet is so quiet, I can run it, and my mother-in-law, in the next room, can't hear it running!
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
================================
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

================================
'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'
DNJimerson

Post by DNJimerson »

Good suggestions. I haven't made a decision yet, but I certainly know more about what I'm looking at now. \:D/

DRILL.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

While I have a silent compressor, I rarely if ever use it. Instead I use a 25lb CO2 tank. I get about 40-60 hours of continuous use out of a fill and the "air" is bone dry. Hehe I have even airbrushed in 95% humitiy with little to no moister in the line. See if you have a company in your area that rents or sells tanks. The other benefit is they make no noise.

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

If you have a look in the 'Finishing' section, there's at least one sticky thread and several related threads.
There is no such word as "casted" or "recasted". The past tense of "cast" is still "cast". Only bisexually hermaphrodites add the "ed". - Churchill August 1942.

"Lose" = Mislay/Fail to win.
"Loose" = Slack/Not tight - John Lennon June 81