HELP! Trek Decal Creation using Vectoring Software

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Julius Orange

HELP! Trek Decal Creation using Vectoring Software

Post by Julius Orange »

For years, I've been purchasing some great aftermarket decals from many different sources and I've always wanted to create my own and since I'm in the process of starting up a model building services business, the issue has come up for me again.

When I have asked people questions in the past on how to create Trek decals on the computer the only answer I ever get is "Vectoring Software" with no other explanation. It seems like a State secret that no one wants to reveal.

Until today, I didn't even know what vectoring software was and I consider myself pretty computer savvy. As far as I understand Adobe Fireworks (which I have) is vectoring software.

So, here's the questions: How do you use vectoring software to create pennant, registry and detail decals, can Fireworks be used for this and if not, are here any low cost or free vectoring software programs available?

I could use Photoshop to create basic registry numbers and names but I'd like to expand beyond that.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

The only real advantage to Vectoring software is that it is scalable- bitmaps images like photoshop's get fuzzy and blocky when enlarged. You can change curve shapes and do other tricks easier. Corel makes a good package- you can probably download a demo to try. If you plan on printing these things yourself you could always build them twice size or so then reduce them to the proper size when printing. I use Vector Software in my job (signmaking) and it is very good for editing, but I don't think it is essential for you to make model graphics- working oversize then reducing should give reasonable results. The vector based graphics would print to the maximum resolution of your printer and look sharper than bit map images but it kind of depends on what your final use would be.

"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Well, there are a couple of Vector based graphic programs out there. Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator are the two most popular (that I'm aware of). There is a thread elswhere on here that has sorta turned into a debate between the pros and cons of both
viewtopic.php?t=66970&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

The vector based graphics will give you a overall cleaner result, with sharper edges and more defined lettering. Your decision is dependant on your output source, your skill, and to some extent your wallet. Some tools within Photoshop are vector based (version 7.0 and above) and I have used the type tool and the line and polygon tools with fairly decent results for markings and registrations. I've also used photographed textures and some free-drawn weathering and blast marks (although I usually do this with my airbrush)

The only drawback with Photoshop is that you are somewhat limited to output on a 4-color printer (CMYK) where with Illustrator, you can assign solid or pantone color swatches, and use more advanced printers (if you have access to such a beastie) that can run other inks like white, silver, gold, or any of the solid pantone inks. The drawback to this, is that if you take it to a commercial printer, to make it cost effective, you usually need to print several hundreds, or even thousands of copies.

What's JT Graphics using for a printer?
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK