HELP Canopy/body interface problem

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TooOld4This

HELP Canopy/body interface problem

Post by TooOld4This »

OK, here's the deal, Boba Fett's Slave 1, Fine Molds, brilliant kit!
Did a pretty good job of the whole paint process for a rank amateur, masking, over-spraying, rubbing off etc, all good.
Then I stick the canopy on!

Uh-oh
Where the canopy and hull join, which is indented UNDER the clear canopy, the glue has made that awful melted-plastic effect very prominent.
My question is,,,how the heck do I hide it, I SHUDDER to think I should mask off all but 1mm of the canopy border, and respray..there HAS to be a simpler solution...but I don't trust my hand to repaint manually...

ANY Ideas appreciated!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Flexible Chartpak tape or the right width would cover it, then carefully hand paint the tape.

Or

Mask off everything but the 1mm width and spray (and by everything I mean body also).

Or

Tamiya tape, laid down on clean surface, painted to match (doesn't have to be exact, it's canopy framing) and then stuck to the canopy. Or any decent smooth surface tape that'll take the paint.

White glue or canopy cement will stop this from happening in the future, just as a note.
Abolish Alliteration
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Would a really thin piece of strip styrene work for this?

I used to do that to hide seams I didn't want to fill. Makes them look like panel lines.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.