I need Help with a finishing problem

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

gwsht5

I need Help with a finishing problem

Post by gwsht5 »

I have been working on a 1/1400 Enterprise E. I fininished all the painting, sealed it with a coat of clear put the decals on, and purchased a can of Krylon Satin Clear, as a substitute for dulcoat. All of the painted clear parts are now milky, and it caused the decals to draw up a bit, and they are all milky as well. What can I do to fix this, or do I need to strip the enitre piece down to bare plastic and start all over again. If that is the case, what is the best thing to strip it ?
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Fellow West Virginian checking in...

Sounds like the Satin Clear reacted with the gloss coat, and possibly went on too heavy over the decals, reacting with them as well.

What was the clear gloss coat?

Was there a clear gloss coat over the decals?

Was the can shaken well before application?

I don't spray clear coats over any clear plastic parts, usually ruins the clear effect.

At this point you'd be better off stripping it all off down to bare plastic and starting over, if there's been a reaction between various finishes its advisable to not paint over them to avoid any future headaches.

Brake fluid, oven cleaner, formerly Castrol Super Clean all work wonders, although I'd avoid using them on the clear parts.

Ken

Ken
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

I tried a can of Krylon satin a while back and it just gave the model a frosted look. I went back to good old (and expensive) testors/model master clear coats.
gwsht5

Post by gwsht5 »

After it set for around an hour, the decals came back out. but the clear parts were still a bit frosty, lesson learned. The clear was Krylon as well. The one thing I didn't do was shoot a coat of clear after I put the decals on, another lesson learned. Thanks for all the replies, learning as I go. Where in WV are you at kenlilly, I'm in the Huntington area, be nice to get to know another Hillbilly Sci-Fi modeler.