Tack Cloth

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Devin

Tack Cloth

Post by Devin »

Does anyone have a recommendation for tack cloths? I've been using the no-name brands from ACE and Home Depot without much luck. They have so much adhesive on them that it's akin to wiping with a syrup-soaked pancake: fingerprints, splotches of adhesive, discoloration. It ain't good.

I've been using Plastic Prep lately and it does work better, but I still run into issue with lint, as every "lint free rag" that I've purchased really isn't.

Any suggestions?
"Just slow it down. I'll shoot Hitler out the window."
-Professor Farnsworth
Chris Binnett
Location: Hunched over my bench like a frakkin' vulture, cursing my lack of time.

Post by Chris Binnett »

use a duster...ya know those cans for computers. take the piece to another room, blast it, then head back to where you are painting. I've had good luck with it, and you can get into the corners and detail in a way a parafin soaked rag can't

PhD NO huffing!
The "trickle-down" theory: the principle that the poor, who must subsist on table scraps dropped by the rich, can best be served by giving the rich bigger meals. W. Blum

“Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Try an anti-static-cloth. If there is a photo supply store near where you live (not likely these days) you may be able to find one locally. I use mine to gently wipe down negatives and slides and to clean off the glass on my film scanner. Works great and doesn't leave a mess. Just keep it dry, don't try to wipe down a wet model, and keep it stored in it's plastic bag and it should last a good long while.
Devin

Post by Devin »

I actually walk within a few blocks of B&H Photo 4 or 5 days a week. I'll give that a look.

The canned air idea works sometimes, the only problem I've had with that is you have to make sure it doesn't have TOO much pressure if you're cleaning something delicate: I sent the bridge railings on a WWII cruiser sailing across the room once.

Thanks for the ideas guys.
"Just slow it down. I'll shoot Hitler out the window."
-Professor Farnsworth
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Yep, B&H will have it. I LOVE B&H! I make it a point to stop in there every time I go into New York. Look around in the video camera section. For some reason, they seem to have a larger size selection there. The only ones I find in the still photo area are the little pocket sized cloths, not very handy for going over large models.

You could also ask about cleaning cloths for hi-def monitors. I seem to remember seeing a nice 8"x10"ish size cloth for that. Very soft and NO Lint problems.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

How about using the Swiffer cloths?
Disillusionist

Post by Disillusionist »

I've used these with a fair amount of success. I'm sure an automotive paint store would stock them, or something similar that will work just as well.