Question about clear & opaque resin mixing.

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

cygaramond

Question about clear & opaque resin mixing.

Post by cygaramond »

My son came up with a rather interesting idea and I want to see if anyone has tried this before so I know if it will work or not.

He wants to build a Klingon Bird of Prey from the adversary kit, but he wants to simulate it mid-cloak. We talked it over and came up with the idea of making a mold of the whole ship and then pouring it about half full of normal opaque resin and then filling in the rest with a clear resin.

The thought is that there will be just a bit of mixing at the point of contact between the two resins, but it would be mostly opaque on one side and clear on the other. Then, once everything had cured he would paint up the opaque bits as normal and leave the clear stuff clear (aside from cleaning up a little with some sanding and dips in future) and he would be left with a ship that looks like it is half-way through the cloaking process.

I've only done a little bit of casting bits and pieces for myself and have not yet worked with any clear resin, so I don't know if it behaves the same way as the opaque.

Does this sound like it will work?

-Chad
I'm a writer of wrongs.

-Richard Castle
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

It'll work. Just make sure to use the same brand resin. Or, just cast it all in clear and paint the areas you want opaque.

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models