scratching satellite dishes?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Dr. Snuts, M.D.

scratching satellite dishes?

Post by Dr. Snuts, M.D. »

The only effective method I can think of to create custom spheres in various sizes is to vacuform over a sphere. I've never vacuformed anything in my life and was curious if there were any alternatives?
Orwell was an optimist...

"You got warp containment problems? I feel bad for ya, son. I got 99 problems but a breach aint one!"

My perpetually unfinished builds
NNYGamer

Post by NNYGamer »

Depends on how big you want, ping pong balls make a nice sturdy and thing dish. Sometimes plastic packages have the right shape to them.
I have no signature.
Wug

Post by Wug »

Hi Dr. Snuts,

NNYGamer is right. If you can find a plastic object with the proper curvature, use it.

For shallow sections over a sphere, you won't need a vacuum former. The simple heat and smash technique should work fine.

HTH

Mike
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

The trinkets that come in gumball dispensers. Plastic Christmas ornaments. Fishing floats. Vacuformed candy blister packs.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Bottoms of beverage cans — very thin.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I've cold formed some up to about an inch in diameter from sheet styrene with a dapping block and punch. Here's a random link with a picture-
http://mechanicalphilosopher.blogspot.c ... d-die.html
I've made some blisters, astrodomes, radar dishes and landing gear feet with mine.
jgoldader

Post by jgoldader »

I've recently vacuformed a high-gain antenna for a model of a satellite. I bought a few elliptical domes from Plastruct, and am using them for forms. The domes are cheap, a few dollars each, and I cobbled together the vacuform box out of leftover bits of wood from the basement. The heat gun was $18 at the local MicroCenter, it was meant for wire shrink-wrapping.

10- or 20-mil sheet should work best, though I wasted many sheets because I didn't have them at the right temperature. My efforts ended up being more heat-n-smash than real vacuforming. I might try using my oven in the future.

Hope this is useful.

Jeff