Gloss & Dull coats

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

EVApodman

Re: Gloss & Dull coats

Post by EVApodman »

I cut my Dulcote with Lacquer thinner maybe about 30-50%, so it comes out much thinner and easier. This allows me to use my regular pressure and I then apply several light coats.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Are you shooting this at 10, 15 PSI? Not sure what you mean by shooting it at your regular pressure?
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

Can't really say since I don't pay that much attention to it. I guess typically I use a higher pressure. Experiment on a scrap piece and see what works for you.

When I spray Dulcote I typically hold the airbrush about a foot or so away from the surface to get a light even coat and avoid excess build up.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Good idea to hold it farther away than my usual.
Patrik

Re: Tips on Tamiya XF-86 flat clear and X-22 gloss clear?

Post by Patrik »

SGCSG1 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:57 pm I'm looking for recommendations on thinner ratio and PSI for the Tamiya clears.

Generally I thin Tamiya acrylic paint 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner and spray about 18 psi.

But people are suggesting thinning the clears 50/50 or even 20/80 (paint to thinner).

Any suggestions on using these?
Here I was, thinking I was thinning my X-22 like a madman, only to read that I may still have quite some way to go.
You call it "social distancing", in Sweden we call it "Tuesday".
Kylwell

Re: Tips on Tamiya XF-86 flat clear and X-22 gloss clear?

Post by Kylwell »

Patrik wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:41 am
SGCSG1 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:57 pm I'm looking for recommendations on thinner ratio and PSI for the Tamiya clears.

Generally I thin Tamiya acrylic paint 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner and spray about 18 psi.

But people are suggesting thinning the clears 50/50 or even 20/80 (paint to thinner).

Any suggestions on using these?
Here I was, thinking I was thinning my X-22 like a madman, only to read that I may still have quite some way to go.
I usually thin mine about 50/50 with clears running a bit thinner for smoother coats.
Abolish Alliteration
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

So, what are people using for either gloss or dull coats these days to seal your acrylic paint work?
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I’ve been using Krylon’s spray acrylic matte lately. It seems to lay down nicely, spray in light misty coats. May be a little tough to find, but I think Michael’s has it. I get mine from the local lumber yard.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I've recently been using Windsor & Newton's Galeria acrylic varnishes. They may be a bit pricey, but they are very good and go on with smooth, even coat. They are also excellent over decals, metallic and weathering finishes. The matt is a very nice dead flat. The satin leaves a good sheen and the gloss is really shiny.

I believe they do them as a spray-bomb, but I spray from an airbrush with no need for thinning.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson