adding color to resin,cheaply.

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

adding color to resin,cheaply.

Post by raser13 »

i'm trying to cast some of the parts for the three small enterprise kits so i can light them.now here is where i ask you not to laugh too hard. i'm making the molds from silicon caulk,it's worked well so far and at a buck a tube at wally world i can aford to screw up. the resin is the five minute apoxy thats in a double seringe like thing that you get at wally world in the hardware dept. at wally world for like 4 bucks. my release agent is good old homade napalm, lighter fluid and vaseline. don't ask misspent youth, i have grown out of it. so far the clear peices look just as good as the original peices. but i would like to color the peices since i can't always get a colored l.e.d. into the nacels and such. i intend to use fiber optics to send white light up to blue colored parts, as in the little refit. i've had people recomend using rit fabric dye,but it's a powder and does'nt mix with the resin well. do i need a longer working time resin to get it to miw up better? would food coloring work? i'm looking to achive as close as i can to the blue color of dlm's parts so they will match closly the full sized ones. i have a dollar tree buget with a macy's dream.so any cheap substitutes would be great. any help would be nice. o.k. let the laugh-fest begin. :squad:
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

any ideas about a red color would also be nice.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Don't try food coloring, those colors are water-dispersed and water soluble. You don't want to introduce water to the resin. Heap bad juju.

You can try India Ink, while stronger than food colors I think it would still be a problem with water.

You can try fabric dye - it's pure dye. I would introduce it to one phase of your resin, and see whether it disperses.

You want to aviod pigments, as they are particulate. What you need is an oil soluble or dispersible dye. You can buy colors specifically made for resin, they're incredibly strong and will last you a long time. Smooth-On markets them.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
raser13

Post by raser13 »

thanks for the info.
Shinnentai

Re: adding color to resin,cheaply.

Post by Shinnentai »

raser13 wrote:the resin is the five minute apoxy thats in a double seringe like thing that you get at wally world in the hardware dept. at wally world for like 4 bucks.
Since you're using epoxy resin... paint. Yep, that's right: paint. Enamel or acrylic, either works and will not screw up the resin. Food coloring also works.

I tint/dye epoxies all the time when using them as a filler, as well as for casting like what you're doing. I've used everything from Testors enamels to craft acrylics, to stained glass paints- whatever I've got in my paint bin that looks like the color I want.

I think maybe Ter misread you, and is speaking on the assumption that you're using polyurathane resin. Epoxies are generally very water friendly, and can be tinted with a wide variety of common colorings.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

You're right, I misread you. I did think it was polyurethane. In such a case, acrylic paints and even easier, inks, will be fine.

I used ink to tint epoxy putty with great results.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ter-or/225 ... 704701438/
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I use food coloring in epoxy to make red and blue navigation lights in aircraft models. I mix up the epoxy, add a drop of color, and then apply a blob to the model where the light should go. I cut, file, and polish to shape.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

TER-OR wrote:I used ink to tint epoxy putty with great results.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ter-or/225 ... 704701438/
This is why the "natural" flavor of Aves is king. By itself it's not a good color to work with (translucent light gray is terrible for visibility), but I can opacify it and make it whatever color I want with just a drop or two of craft acrylic.

Fun stuff- mixing "natural" Aves with stained glass paint changes the color, but not the opacity. With the right combo of colors you can get a very realistic "flesh" look, similar to waxwork or SFX silicones/gelatins. Good for when halloween starts coming 'round :wink: .
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
Gouf

Post by Gouf »

Allumilite sells resin dye for $4 a bottle. One bottle of each color is all you will ever need. The red and blue work great. And you can control how dark the color is by the amount of dye added.
-Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy, but socially dead!

My finished kits can be seen here: http://kitbash.net