Masking/Blockling off??

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sciford

Masking/Blockling off??

Post by sciford »

Hi! I was looking at my unstarted Polar Lights 1/350 NX-01 and as far as the saucer section is concerned, there's loads of windows to install, provided with the kit and installed from the inside...which is my dilemma. When building the kit, should I install the windows as instrusted and then block or mask them off when I get to painting the kit, or should I paint it first (assuming the electronics have previously been installed) and then add the windows - as the saucer will have been joined by this point, I'd have to use clear drying glue to replicate the window glass?

It also brings up the question, do you guys paint the components first then join them up (possible sub-assemblies) or join them all up and then paint the kit?
"Still crazy, after all these years". (P. Simon)
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

To answer your first question:

I don't know, not having seen the kit. But, what you may try is using some liquid latex as a maksing agent. Applied with a fine-tipped brush, it's easy as pie to use. It's called "Mold Builder" and is made by CAstin' Craft. You can get a tub of it at Wal-Mart for $15 that will last you a lifetime. It's the same stuff as the expensive "liquid latex masking agent" sold at the hobby shop.

To answer your second question:

It depends. If the seams between the subassemblies would be small, and representative of the panel lines on the "real" craft, then painting and even weathering the subassemblies is a definite yes.

If the subassemblies pose a problem in the form of seams that correspond with the prototype's panel lines (or will have gaps or steps requiring filling), then no, don't paint them before assembly.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Paint first, then assemble.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.